Yoga is something that is very popular today, especially for those who want to improve their overall physical well-being and mental well-being. In order to fully enjoy yoga and be a lot more comfortable while practicing it, there are several tools that are suggested. The number one thing recommended would be the yoga mat. This is probably the most commonly used piece of equipment you will find in yoga. It is going to help you perform properly and more effectively in any kind of exercise you might do. It will also provide you with traction for whenever you change your position so that you are able to better maintain your balance and practice your yoga with more ease.
Since the popularity of yoga is on the rise, that means that there is an increase demand for different kinds of yoga mats. Below are a few guidelines to try and help you find the right mat that will fit your individual needs and preferences.
- Know what the different types of yoga mats are. Make sure to check out the features of each style of mat to determine the kind of mat that is going to be best for your personal needs. Here are the basic mats on the market today.
- Cotton mats – These are the best for absorbing perspiration and gives you a cooling effect.
- Sticky mats – These will provide you with enough traction so you can move and change positions easily; these are very useful in Power Yoga that involves a lot of different movements.
- Thin mats – These require a little water to be sprinkled on them in order for you to benefit from their stability feature.
- Ultra double thickness mats – These are more bulky than others but they do provide a lot more cushioning.
- Meditation mats – These are best used for relaxation. This type of mat usually comes with it's own pillow.
- Your yoga mat needs to grip on the floor in order to prevent you from sliding and slipping. It is also very important that the mat can absorb some sweat while you are doing your yoga practices.
- The mat also needs to be lightweight so you can transport it easily from one place to another.
- The mat also needs to be both non-toxic and bio-friendly. You don't want any nasty smell getting in the way of your ability to concentrate on your yoga session.
- You can also ask your instructor for help on this. They should be able to help you find just the right mat for your personal needs.
- Finally, make sure that the mat you get is easy to maintain and clean.
A really good yoga mat will provide comfort and traction for your different yoga poses. So, make sure that you buy the mat that suits you and all of your needs and you will have a much more enjoyable yoga session.